I loved the transparent images on the text background in the case file and knew I wanted to do something similar. Of the evidence items I used: circles, map, transparent element where the background shows through, stars, birds, And from the testimony: I placed my title in half a circle and the layout is about a song I made up for my son, not really a free poem, but something similar.
I used watercolour paper for the background. It was first misted with water and dipped into a pool of Antique Linen Distress Stain, giving it a nice cream colour. When dry, a music stamp was stamped repeatedly across the page using Archival Ink Cobalt, and first to third generation stamping. The images were stamped on top with Jet Black ink and coloured with watercolours. It is a bit tricky to match watercolours to the colour palette since they dry lighter, but I hope they are close enough.
My sister made up a short little song about cars which I have been singing to my son a lot. Because he loves all vehicles, I started adding other vehicles to the song, and especially those he has seen during the day. So the song is a bit different all the time. It includes a favourite part of him going in a little wagon pulled by a tractor, but I didn’t have any tractor stamps (or bus stamps). I know have to sing this song every evening, often many times (and sometimes in the middle of the night), and the title of the layout is him asking for the song. I placed the story about the song and the song itself (one of its many versions) behind the photo, which opens up. TFL!!
Blogpost with close-ups: http://layersofink.blogspot.com/2012/04/mamma-sing-cars-csi-case-file-17.html